The wonderful time between summer and fall

For my brother and I, Labor day was traditionally the "last" day of summer, being that we had school the next day. Our area was a wonderful area for our parents to raise us.
 
After talking with our parents, they would absolutely home school us if we were that age today, we would not be going to public school due to the current state of affairs of the culture and public schools. My point in this blog post, however, is to offer a simple reflection on this time of year between summer and fall. For us, my brother and I are now in college (our current studies are online), so we don't have the "disappointment" of the "last" day of summer being today.  With great appreciation for our parents and our special place we grew up in, we remember having a wonderful above ground pool. Traditionally, we would drain it on the evening in Labor Day. I remember walking to the school bus the next day and seeing the pool draining and looking back at it. For many, this is a wonderful time of year to enjoy the transition period from summer to fall. To us, and to me especially, it feels as though September has both summer and fall, due to weather and climate in the Eastern part here in America. We remember the water parks at Kings Dominion (Hanover VA) and Water Country USA (York County, Virginia) being open for the last day on Labor Day before closing for the season. As a side note, Water County is now open every year for two weekends past Labor Day (https://watercountryusa.com/park-info/water-park-hours/) They have been doing this for about the past 6 years and we went on both of those weekends in the past several times. A wonderful extension of summer, as the weather was typically hot and warm in VA even if the evenings cooled off somewhat. The water was also able to be heated if needed. There is also historic Yorktown that is a nice place to walk through. 

I bring all this up in today's post to share my anecdotal thoughts about this time. Today, my family and I have great appreciation for where we currently are and this special time between summer and fall. In a similar way, we feel that September is both a summer and fall month. There is no hard cut off except for meteorological summer and fall. I think for me, the important reflection on this time is that as much as I love summer, there are also things to look forward to for and in the fall.

Popular posts from this blog

How my friend Chris Nelson inspires many

Indiana and what comes next.

Local plans and YOU!